Please take a moment to join the Wellesley Widows Alumnae group on LinkedIn to stay in touch with former widows.
Sorry for the lack of posting lately, but the Widows have been scrambling to prepare for our SPRING FINAL CONCERT. Tonight, at 8 pm, the Widows will be singing four new song, and some revamped oldies with brand new choreography. (: Everyone is getting excited and so should YOU. We really hope to see you there–CHAPEL at 8pm. (:
Which means the Wellesley Widows Spring Teaser is finally here!
Catch these lovely ladies in black at 8 p.m. in Pomeroy Living Room on FRIDAY, April 6th.
Featuring new songs that will dazzle your ears and keep you humming all week long!
Completely free, the more the merrier. (:
Not that we ACTUALLY went anywhere, but we were just SO busy with wonderful Widows things that our blog posts took a bit of a hit. Not to worry though, because we are HERE to STAY. There are so many things to update you about, so let’s put the big ones out there first:
1. We have six new members! Five first-years from fall semester (Alice, Brianna, Joanna, Julia, & Lauren) and one fabulous sophomore from spring auditions (Hooray, Katie!). Make sure to check out our Members page to read their bios and see their lovely faces. (:
2. Our spring teaser is coming up! Mark your calendars, because on Friday, April 6th, you’ll be busy listening to a fabulous performance by the Wellesley Widows! We have some GREAT new songs, and we can’t wait to show them off to you!
3. WE WANT TO SING FOR YOU! Have a Widow-loving friend with a birthday coming up? Send them a WIDOWS BIRTHDAY GRAM! Click HERE to order!
4. Lastly, we are super tech-savvy! If this blog isn’t enough Widows info to keep you satisfied, we have you COVERED! We have countless ways for our fans to stay up to date on our latest happenings! Yearning to see us sing and can’t wait for the teaser? Check out our YouTube account!. Need the latest info about upcoming gigs? Follow us on Twitter @WellesleyWidows. Want to leave us some love or see the latest pictures? Like us on Facebook!
More posts soon to come! Thank you ALL for being such loyal fans! (:
The Wellesley Widows
I’m only giving you three, because they’re easy enough to remember:
1. We are debut-ing a LOT of great new music you haven’t heard before. Think Amy Kimm in fabulous high heels and Gina White noodle-ing her voice up high!!!
2. Our guest group, the Amherst Zumbyes, reportedly performs with a banana on stage. Yes, a real-life banana.
3. How else are you going to survive this epically long winter complete with pre-spring-break midterms? Exactly my point.
Tower Great Hall. This Saturday. 8pm.
SEE YOU THERE!
As I’m writing this, the Widows are all together in a house in Jamaica Plain studying, chatting, and making pancakes. Why are we here? Today is our last recording session for our newest CD that will be released later this spring. Right now Julia and Nooreen are upstairs in DA ATTIC STUDIO (a fun name for the recording studio in the attic of John’s house) recording the alto 1 part for Seven Nation Army (by Ben l’Oncle Soul) and I’m writing this post to distract from the psychology midterm that I’m studying for while I wait for my turn.
The whole recording process is really cool. Two of us go up at a time to John’s sound-proofed attic and record in separate rooms while listening through headphones to a ticking track (for rhythm), the original song, and the people who have recorded before us. It’s kind of confusing at first, but this is our fourth recording session this year, so we’re pretty used to it. John has all of this awesome equipment; he sits in a third room with all kinds of electronic equipment, including several computer screens, a mixing board, and a keyboard. Basically, the whole thing feels really awesome and professional.
After we finish recording today, we should be all done with the rough tracks for our album. Then we need to choose a title and design the CD jacket while John edits and mixes the tracks that we have recorded today, two days ago, and earlier in November.
In the meantime, we’re all trying to get some work done while we’re here; being away from Wellesley for two days out of a weekend is kind of devastating, especially during midterm season (I’m going to pretend that midterm season isn’t actually the entire semester). I keep getting distracted, especially by the delicious chocolate chip pancakes that Janna is making us! All in all, even if there’s work to be done, it’s a pretty fun weekend with the Widows!
Courtesy of bueller brainstorming (a phrase you’ll come to understand if you join the Widows!)
Auditions start tomorrow, Monday Jan 24th. Check out the Facebook event!
Happy new year to all! We are gearing up for an awesome 2011, and are looking for newbies!
THREE REASONS TO JOIN THE WEB:
1.We’re recording a killer CD – that your voice can be on – for release in May
2. We’re going on tour to Austin, TX after finals – way to relax after a tough semester!
3. We are crazy/fun/cool/insert positive adjective here!!! See more on our Facebook page: http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Wellesley-Widows/16321635691
Come to our spring auditions to get in on the fun! Bring a song and a joke to Jewett on:
Monday, 1/24 , 7-9pm
Tuesday, 1/25 , 6-8pm
Wednesday, 1/26, 7:30-9:30pm
Plus, check out our Facebook event with fun pics and posts –>http://www.facebook.com/#!/event.php?eid=175527475815734¬if_t=event_admin
We had a WONDERFUL final concert weekend – the final concert itself was great, with so much turnout from our friends, family and alums! We loved the cute sports-team-like signs you guys made!
Then on Saturday, we had dinner at Laura’s house before singing at her middle school. It was SO NICE to have her mom’s home-cooked lasagna, and really cool to see our where she grew up. Best of all, she got to sing Adele’s “Hometown Glory” in her hometown!
Now we’re all in study mode prepping for finals. Thanks for a great semester and see you in the spring! (You might see some posts from us, here or on Facebook, if we get too lonely without other Widows)…
Our final concert is Friday December 3rd in the Jewett Auditorium. The classy ladies in black welcome all generations to hear us. Hope to see you there!